Ryan Carters set out this year with the aim of helping students achieve a better life in a country that does not offer the opportunities that most of us take for granted.
Creating a fund raising initiative called ‘Batting For Change’ in conjunction with the LBW Trust, Carters invited fans and players alike to pledge money for any six hit by the Thunder this year. Despite Ryan holding back himself by refusing to hit a six until the final round against the Sixers the initiative was a great success with over $ 30 000 raised over the course of the season.
There were many people who contributed to this, including LBW Trust Patron Adam Gilchrist who kindly agreed to host a media launch of the Program during the BBL season and Channel Ten who kindly publicised the initiative during Big Bash matches.
People were encouraged to donate whatever amount they liked per six and the monies raised were to go towards helping build a senior school campus in Bafal, Nepal.
Ryan, is now looking to visit Nepal in the off season to see the building work at the school and meet with some of the students who will benefit from these additional facilities.
Click below to see Ryan talk about the success of the project :
Ryan Carters Bio :
- Born: 25th July 1989.
- Ryan is currently contracted to the NSW Blues and Sydney Thunder.
- Played his junior cricket in Canberra before taking up a contract with Cricket Victoria in 2009. First Class debut: 2010.
- Moved to NSW in 2013. His highlights so far this season: Nov 2013 (94 and 40 v 2013-2014 England Touring Side; Dec 2013: 1st Class Debut Hundred (154) v Queensland; Dec 2013; 100 v Tasmania.
- Completed his HSC at Radford College Canberra in 2008 as Dux. Academic
- Scholarship Melbourne University 2009; Academic Scholarship Sydney University 2013.
- Studying Bachelor of Arts: (Economics and Politics).