First Grade Player of the Final - Stuart Clark (Sydney University)
The Sydney Cricket Association hosted its annual Grade Premiers Dinner last Friday evening (May 4) at Dockside in Darling Harbour, celebrating the achievements of players in Sydney’s number one club cricket competition.
The evening was a big one for the Sydney University and Randwick Petersham clubs, who dominated First Grade Finals this season.
Sydney University won a second consecutive Belvidere Cup while finishing runners-up in the First Grade T20 Cup. They also won the Second Grade Premiership.
In addition, the Students walked away with several individual honours. Their captain, Greg Mail, was presented with the prestigious O’Reilly Medal as First Grade Player of the Year also receiving the First Grade Captain of the Year award.
Stuart Clark received the Benaud Medal as the Belvidere Cup First Grade Player of the Final, with Tom Kierath taking out Second Grade Captain of the Year.
Randwick Petersham became the first club to play in all three First Grade Finals, winning both the Limited Overs and T20 competitions and finishing runners up in the Belvidere Cup.
Adam Coyte and Nathan Hauritz were presented with their respective Player of the Final awards from the Limited Overs and T20 deciders, while Rob Huxley won the Fifth Grade Captain of the Year award.
Manly-Warringah also had much cause to celebrate with the northern beaches club taking home the Sydney Smith Cup as Club Champions, while their coach, Dean Gilchrist, won the Bob Simpson Award as Coach of the Year.
St George won the Spirit of Cricket Award. Judged by umpires, this award recognises the club which best exemplified the values of fair play and sportsmanship throughout the season in all grades. Club veteran, Stephen Wark, was the Third Grade Captain of the Year.
Below is a full list of the award winners from the Premiers Dinner.
SYDNEY CRICKET ASSOCIATION GRADE PREMIERS DINNER
- First Grade – The Belvidere Cup
- First Grade Limited Overs
- First Grade Twenty20
- Second Grade – the Albert Cup
- Third Grade – the Mitchell Cup
- Fourth Grade – the Reid Cup
- Fifth Grade – The David Sherwood Cup
- Poidevin Gray Shield (U/21)
- AW Green Shield (U/16)
Club Championships – the Sydney Smith Cup
Spirit of Cricket
Captains of the Year
- First Grade
- Greg Mail (Sydney University)
- Second Grade
- Tom Kierath (Sydney University)
- Third Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Fifth Grade
- Rob Huxley (Randwick Petersham)
The Bob Simpson Award – Sydney Grade Coach of the Year
- Dean Gilchrist (Manly-Warringah)
Players of the Final
- First Grade – the Benaud Medal
- Stuart Clark (Sydney University)
- First Grade Limited Overs – the Michael Bevan Medal
- Adam Coyte (Randwick Petersham)
- First Grade T20 – the David Warner Medal
- Nathan Hauritz (Randwick Petersham)
- AW Green Shield (U/16) – the Kevin Cunningham Medal
- Poidevin Gray Shield (U/21) – the Shane Lee Medal
- Joel Brockley (Sutherland)
Toro Ground of the Year
- Waverley Oval (Eastern Suburbs)
George Borwick Memorial Award – First Grade Umpire of the Year
Phil Tresidder Media Award
- Best Season Coverage
- Chris Georgakopoulos (Penrith Press)
- Best Feature Article
- Michael Carayannis (St George and Sutherland Shire Leader)